Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Trials of Teaching!

So I teach to Senior couples at the MTC! I teach them tagalog, and it's a lot of fun, they are so great and working there definitely brightens my day! I'm learning a lot though, lately a lot of my couples have been canceling appointments! They're busy packing or visiting they're children, definitely legitamate things for them to do, but that doesn't help them learn tagalog! I've been thinking a lot about this recently and what I can do to stress the importance of them meeting with me and studying the language! I realized I have to be strict! I'll treat them like they're high school teachers did! I think I've just been too nice with them and that's made them feel that it's not important to study. So I'm learning that I have to be aggressive and strict, in order for them to take this more seriously! These are not things I like to do! I like being friendly and nice, but I'm going to have to grow an backbone and tell them whose boss! Well, kind of the boss! So anyway, this is just something I'm coming to realize, that I have to change the way I'm teaching and really express the importance of the time we have together. I hope this will help!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck girl! That is a fine line . . . It's hard when someone people don't put that as a priority - you'll figure out how to get that balance soon :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!