Thursday, February 10, 2011

Validation for Valentine's


I love this video, in fact, I've already posted this video here on my blog, about 2 years ago. Since it is such a wonderful idea I figured it was time share it again! Now, it is cheesy, and ridiculous and basically just makes me laugh! I mean, "You are amazing! You have amazing bone structure!" It's just great, that's all, enough said...

But not really, I'm gonna keep going... The real reason why I love this video, is the idea it teaches, the idea that in this world where everyone is so involved in themselves, we have an opportunity. An opportunity to reach out to others, to be a friend, give a simple smile, or a genuine compliment. We have the opportunity to lift others up! And this can be hard, it can be scary, cause less face it, rejection is scary! So most of us just stick to ourselves, we don't reach out, and why is it really, it's cause of fear. The fear of being rejected or laughed at. Now I admit, I have this fear a lot! Sometimes when you're first meeting people it can be awkward, and I get this anxious knotty feeling in  my stomach. I worry that I'll say the wrong thing, and I can feel my face getting all red. But you can change that, because really this fear is selfishness. It's worrying about how YOU come across, how YOU look, what people will think of YOU! But if you turn it around and think of what YOU can do for others... well, that's true altruism, and suddenly it gets a little easier to talk to that stranger. Suddenly it takes away your inhibitions and allows you to be free, and to care about others. That's something that I'm still learning and struggling with, some days I still get stuck on myself, but I'm trying... and this life is about continuing to try even when things are hard, it's about progression.

So...as you watch this video, remember what is really being taught here, this man is reaching out, he's giving genuine compliments to people that are just searching for some validation in this life, they just need someone to notice all that they do! So this Valentine's Day.... well it's a day to love those around you, so why don't you start by giving some validation to your neighbor, your roommate, your best friend, parents and even the stranger you pass in the elevator every morning! Give it a try, reach out and validate.

PS: Accepting validations here too! :)

3 comments:

  1. Stacia, you're amazing! :)

    Seriously, though, I really enjoyed this post. Thanks for a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that short film! i've seen it a few times!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!