Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Senior MTC! I LOVE my Job!

I work at the MTC, the best job ever! Not only do I work there, but I get to work with the most wonderful Senior Couples! I've been tutoring the Senior Couples in tagalog, and it is so fun! They are amazing and I learn so much from them! A lot of them are in their 60's-70's and they work sooo hard! I'm amazed at how fast they are learning! Some of them struggle more than others. :) Some I have to spend the entire time on Pronunciation, while others move right along!

One of the neatest things I've been able to do recently is "Guide" two couples in Samoan! I don't speak Samoan! But it's been really fun! We use volunteers to teach pronunciation and grammar, while I guide the lesson, tell them what to study and make sure that they're working hard! :) I've learned sooo much from this experience, because usually the volunteer ends up teaching me as well! I realized though, that the easiest way for them to learn is by speaking, not trying to understand every aspect of the grammar, but putting words into sentences! Hopefully this will help when I'm teaching tagalog! I've also learned a little Samoan, like, Malo lava! Very Good! and, 'O le aiga o a'u. This is my family! I think! Or Lo matou Tama O' e lalagi. Matou te fa'afetai atu ia te oe le perofeta soifua. Matou te fa'afetai atu ia te oe lo matou aiga! Matou te ole atu ia te oi e puipui le aiga. E le soufa o e Iesu Keriso, Amene. Iyan!!! Which means,Our Father in Heaven, We're thankful for a living prophet. We're thankful for our family. We ask thee to protect our family. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. That was a prayer in Samoan! I'm that good! :) Anyway it's been a lot of fun to learn this language, and I want to continue learning it! BUT, now they found a great samoan teacher, so I'm back to just Tagalog. It's sad, but who knows what language they could ask me to "Guide" next! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think!