Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Christmas Carol...belated...or early- it depends on how you look at it...

Well, I wrote this blog post up I think in November of 2009, so it really is belated! Well, I guess I never finished it...I decided to post it anyway. ;)

So I realized I haven't even looked at my blog in a few months! That is sad, so I decided to change that right now and write a post! On Friday I got to see the musical of "A Christmas Carol" at the Hale theater, it was so great, and made me want to go right home and watch the movie! I love these feel good Christmas movies, they're so cheesy, and fun and they just make you feel so good! The play was so cute, and Tiny Tim stole the show! He was this adorable little boy, and when he came out all you heard was, "aww!" all over the theater! Besides the cheesiness this story has a great moral, don't be a scrooge! No, really it was about the importance of looking beyond yourself and creating loving relationships with those around you. One thing that really touched me was when the Ghost of Christmas present said," Man might change... but doesn't!" That really made me think about the importance of taking control of our life and changing for the better.

I remember writing this, it was a while ago, but it really got me thinking about the power that we as individuals have. That power is agency. We all have it, everyone of us! We all have the power to make decisions for ourselves, and to choose how we will act, what we will think, or how we will respond to our circumstances. We don't always have control over what happens to us, but we do have the control to choose how we want to act and re-act to any situation we're in. This quote is about human nature, and, in my opinion, how tragic it is that, "Man might change...but doesn't!" I think that's due to laziness or pride really, change is a hard process. It takes self-reflection and repentance, and most people don't take the time for that, or have too much pride to admit that their ways might be wrong! But really, we have a choice to change or not! If we don't like something about our lives, or if we're not happy, we can change that, we can improve ourselves. Yes it takes effort, yes it takes patience with ourselves, and diligence! Yes it takes repentance! And when I say repentance, what that really means is making a decision to change, for the better! That change can be as simple as deciding to eat less chocolate! Haha, or making a goal to say "Hi" to 3 strangers a day, if you want to be more friendly. These small changes are a part of repentance, which helps us to progress, and become better people!

So the good thing is that we can change!!! Yay! Shout up and down! We can improve, we can progress! That's one of the greatest gifts we have, and thankfully in the end of this Christmas Carol; Scrooge, our meiserly, grump, did change! He made that step, and began to open his heart and change for the better, and I like to think that he was a great influence for good!

So let's change this quote to "Man might change...and will!! :) Cause we have the choice to!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think!